Saturday, September 8, 2012

DIY Perfume

I stopped wearing perfume about 3-4 years ago after I learned that our skin was our largest organ. I visualized myself rubbing harmful creams and chemicals in my skin and started a won't-put-anything-on-my-skin-that-I-wouldn't-put-in-my-mouth thing. I know - that is extreme. There are things that are safe to use on your skin that you wouldn't necessarily eat - but still.

I had read not-so-nice things about perfume being hormone disrupting and contained phthalates among other things.

I tried wearing some of the solid perfumes from Lush which are a lot better, but after a few emails back and forth with them I decided it wasn't "safe" enough for me. I wanted to know exactly what "perfume" meant on their list of ingredients and they said:

"I think that if you follow such a careful selection of ingredients that you use on your skin, it might be best that you do not use it."


So I stopped using that and haven't really been wearing anything ever since.

But I missed it.

When I read Ecoholic Body I was so excited to try the DIY perfume on page 85.

So tonight was the night. I made it. It was so easy. And smells so good. And it only had 3 ingredients.

Here's the recipe in case you don't have a copy of Ecoholic Body (which I will blog about sometime soon, it's my go-to resource).

2 tablespoons of grated or beaded beeswax
3 tablespoons of jojoba oil
45 drops of essential oil of your choice

In a double boiler, melt together the jojoba and beeswax. Once melted, remove from heat and add 45 drops of the essential oil of your choice. Pour in a glass container or cute tin and let it solidfy. Once it's set, "dab and go!" (In the words of Adria!)

Thank you Iris for being there and helping me make my first batch of lavender perfume. I'm already wearing it and feel so calm. Hehe! So excited. This is definitely going to be my new scent.

I keep smelling my wrists. It smells so good.

Photo from here

1 comment: