Friday, May 10, 2013

New Fave Deodarant

About a month ago my friend Lisa suggested that I try using a lime slice as my deodorant. What?! I'd never heard of that one before in all the years I spent looking for and trying natural deodorants. I'm always up for trying new things though and love testing out natural, toxic-free and cheap ways of living so you know I just had to try it! I was definitely skeptical though as I have b.o. and armpits that are very picky. Barely anything "natural" works on me. What works for others always has me smelling by mid-day.

I cut a sledge of lime and applied it to my underarms after my morning shower. At the end of the day - no smell. What?! Crazy.

I did this for 4-5 days or so, (even after I shaved one day which I thought would sting but didn't!)

Lisa has been doing this lime slice thing for a while and loves it. It works great for her and other people I've looked up love it as well. I was surprised that it actually worked for me too! If you're looking for a simple cheap deodorant, try the lime slice! Cut a wedge and keep it in the fridge in between uses. I used one wedge for 2-3 days. Just make sure you don't expose your armpits to sun! Citrus and sun do not mix. That goes for any citrus creams or other things you put on yourself as well. Don't go in the sun with them.

However, after a week or so I wasn't smelly per say, but I also didn't feel "fresh." This lead me to my discovery of my new favourite deodorant as mentioned above.

I looked up if I could add baking soda to the lime to see if that would help make me feel fresh and completely non-smelly longer. I wanted to make sure lime and baking soda could mix and wouldn't cause a chemical reaction on my skin (which shouldn't by the way! But it could be harsh for some people on their armpit skin) This lime and baking soda search led me to this incredible discovery.

Coconut oil and baking soda.

I quickly went to my kitchen, took my organic coconut oil and mixed it with equal parts baking soda.
I mixed:
  • 3tbsp of coconut oil 
  • 3 tbsp of baking soda.
Then put it in a glass jar with a lid.

I've been using this for a whole month now. I'm still using the original one I made a month ago so that 3 tbsp lasts a long time! It's incredible. It's so much easier to use than the salt stick and baking soda one I've been using for a few years now. And even easier than the lime wedge!

Why I love it:
  • has a slight, beautiful coconut scent
  • works all day, even 24 hours
  • soft to apply
  • easy to apply
  • I don't have to keep it in the fridge, I can keep it in the bathroom mirror
  • There's no multiple steps (ie. go to fridge, get lime, squeeze and apply, put back in fridge OR wet armpits, wet salt stick, pat with baking soda)
  • I am completely smelly-free and have not been self conscious once this month of my smell
So I'm completely sold. This stuff is magical. The lime wedge led to an amazing discovery!

So for those of you still looking for that perfect natural deodorant that works for you, I hope either the lime wedge or coconut oil suggestions work for you.

Like I always say, everybody's different and every body's different. Don't give up. Find the natural, toxic-free thing that works for you.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: July 8, 2013

After about 8 weeks of using this, I found my armpits got a bit raw. *sad face*
I'm wondering if the baking soda is too abrasive on my armpits for daily use. Or if the PH in it is reacting against my body's PH? Either way. I'm back to the search of a deodorant that works for me. C'est la vie!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: August 12, 2013
Found another recipe and tried it...so far love it! Here it is --> Another Try at Deodorant

No comments:

Post a Comment