Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Rosehip Oil Moisturizer

I've been using a new mixture as my face moisturizer for the past few weeks - and I'm loving it! I use it in the morning before heading out for the day and at night again before I go to sleep.

The back story: I have a dear friend in her 40's with absolutely beautiful skin. I was staying over at her house lesson planning a few months back and she shared her secret - rosehip oil! It was a tiny little bottle of magic, about $13.00 for 30ml. I shared with another friend that I wanted to make rosehip oil and she too was interested so of course we, both wanting to know how and if we could make it on our own, turned to Tracey Tief at Anarres to ask what a great mixture would be for this kind of face moisturizer.

A little bit of research: Tracey suggested that I blend the rosehip as follows:
100ml carrier
10-15 % rose hip oil
1-2% essential oil

The reason she suggested this mixture is that rosehip oil, in high concentrations can aggravate acne. So mellowing it out a bit with some other oils is best! Once I had the above percentage I looked up rosehip oil a bit more. Anarres said that "rosehip oil is extremely high in essential fatty acids and is known to treat dry, irritated, weathered skin. It is also suitable for treating burns, scars, and stretch marks."

Sold!

Except, I didn't know what to do with the percentages she gave me (what does 10-15% look like??) What would be the best carrier oil? And what would be the best essential oil to pair with it?  She suggested geranium essential oil. It's wonderful as well (you can read the link) but it does act as a hormone balancer so it's not to be used during pregnancy. For the carrier oil, she suggested rice bran oil.

Into action: I went to Anarres Natural Health's brand new store to pick up the goods, and I was the first customer to fill the order in the new place!
Tracey filling up my 10ml of geranium essential oil, the first order in the new space!
I got the 100ml bottles, rosehip oil, geranium essential oil and rice bran oil. I also asked her to put the percentages in layman's terms for me. So here it is folks!

Recipe and instructions:
Once the three oils are at room temperature:
1. Add 40 drops of geranium essential oil to a 100ml bottle
2. Add 20ml of rosehip oil (about 1 tbsp + 1tsp)
3. Fill the rest of the bottle with rice bran oil and give it a little shake.

There it is! And the cost when you make it on your own? $7.50 for 100ml and refills are $6.00 (since you don't have to pay for the bottle again).

Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment