Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Water Kefir

Keith and I started drinking water kefir this past Spring and LOVE it.

The biggest difference I saw when using it was with my skin - it totally cleared up and got "the glow. I threw out our batch a few months ago because I thought it went bad (but it didn't, oops!) but have finally started it up again last week. I can't wait to see the difference in my skin again.

We love this stuff and Keith was so upset when I threw it out! He said "it's like you threw out our children!" Why did he say that? Because the grains are alive. Kefir is a bacteria, an awesome kind of bacteria. It's a dairy-free, fermented probiotic so it's great for your gut. We think of it as our cost-efficient way to have probiotics. We used to pay heaps of money on probiotic capsules but now we just drink this. It's also like "nature's pop" since when you leave it for a certain amount of time, you get the fizz!

It smells funny but tastes great. We kinda nickname it "baby puke" because it smells like that - gross right? But so good! Depending on how long you let it sit for (48-72 hours) the less sweet it will be. We usually do the 72 hour wait since we like ours a bit more tangy than sweet.

It's so easy to start and make yourself. The only thing you need is:
The best way to learn how to do it is go to Cultures for Health (the brand of water kefir grains we got) and watch their videos. Here they are!

1. Watch this one to know how to hydrate your grains when you first buy them.

2. Then watch this one when you're ready to make your first batch!

Then repeat every 2-3 days or so.

We're sold. And I won't throw out this batch, promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment